An organization that promotes science communication and science education activities
Founded in 2008, Science View is an organization that promotes science communication and science education activities to help bridge the gap between the scientific community and the wider public in Greece and in Europe. The staff, members and co-operators (science communicators and science journalists) of Science View, are constantly working on making scientific knowledge useful and clearly understood by the general public. In doing so, it focuses on the following activities:
- the organization of events for the distribution and communication of science in public (such as conferences, info days, science cafes, scientific workshops) and their video coverage released on media or uploaded on websites
- the production of videos and documentaries (including interactive documentaries) of research and scientific projects for dissemination and awareness purposes
- the organisation of training courses about new techniques on science communication; the team specializes on designing and developing e-learning courses for organizations, companies, universities, schools and public and private bodies; it further designs and conducts online seminars, synchronous or asynchronous, via the training web platform of Science View printed and electronic publications, e.g. books concerning science popularization, newsletters, online magazines, websites, information portals and brochures.
- the development and implementation of educational activities in science and technology in order to inform teachers and pupils to obtain relevant skills.
- the mobilization of young people, especially students, to participate in actions of scientific interest
- the development and implementation of research activities in various scientific fields.
Science View is further involved in the organization of science festivals, world conferences and science debates. Being a member of the European Union of Science Journalists’ Association (EUSJA) and the European Science Events Association (EUSEA), Science View partners with large EU projects and aims at expanding events and activities organized in Greece to the whole of Europe. Moreover, it aims at connecting science journalists and science communicators all over Europe in order to foster pan-European dialogue and the exchange of knowledge and ideas.
The last 6 years has also focus on research activities concerning the Self-Reflection of educational institutions. The self-reflection is concentrated to measure the openness and innovation status of the educational institution (mainly schools in primary and secondary level) by developing 3 Self-Reflection tools for the OSOS, R4C and LfE projects (https://portal.opendiscoveryspace.eu/en/osos/srt/auth, https://srt.reflecting4change.eu/, https://srt.learningfromtheextremes.eu) as well as to 1 Self-Reflection Tool dedicated to measure the STEAM status in a school unit for the NEXT STEP project (https://srt.the-next-step.eu/). All 4 tool have been validated and are ready to use from schools. Up to now almost 3000 schools, from more than 16 countries, have use the specific Self-Reflection Tools.